Monday, July 6, 2009

Had to share!

So most of you probably know that I am thinking seriously about registering to run a 5k. I likely will do the Turkey Day run in Manchester, CT. Yes, it is Thanksgiving day and I may ask my MIL if we can join her for dinner for once because I'm not sure I could do the run AND make sure we have dinner on the table. I will be sad to miss the Macy's parade too....

So I have been exercising for about 3.5 months with the last month or so more focused on running. I love to run. I hate getting there though. My lungs and heart are like old rusty tools...they groan to life each day, but I push on. Generally my workout goes something like this:

Pull the treadmill into position (it stays folded so the kiddos don't play on it). Plug it in. Set the incline to 10 (highest setting) and start at 3mph. Every two minutes, bring the incline down one setting (10 to 9.5, 9.5 to 9, etc.). While I bring the incline down, I set the speed higher. By the time I hit 32 minutes, I am down on the lowest setting and usually somewhere between 4.5mph & 5mph.

Today was a good day. I started more around 3.4-3.5mph and sped up as I descended. By the end I was at 5.1mph. At 34 minutes, I slowed down to 4mph and then ended up at a comfortable 4.5 for most of the last mile. Today I ended up with 43:33 for a time. That is about 3 minutes faster than my last 5k run last week. My run averaged out to be about 4.3mph. I am STOKED!

My long term goal is to maybe do a 5k in 30-35 minutes. That is a lofty goal from where I sit right now, but it doesn't seem totally out of my reach anymore. Each day gets better and better...Who would of thought that I would enjoy this? It still a struggle sometimes to fit time in for my exercise and some days, I let it slide. My weight hasn't changed a bit, but most people have told me I look better. Today I looked in the mirror and maybe saw a little glimpse of the body I used to have, but getting there will be even sweeter because it won't be done with cigarettes. Just hard work and taking care of myself.

I think I can...I think I can...

3 comments:

  1. I know you can. I know you can. I know you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I KNOW you can!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an inspiration Di! You CAN do it .. .

    ReplyDelete