Chickens!
(By the way - did you get the reference to Monty Python in my title? No? Ok, never mind then. I am not talking about dead parrots anyway.)
I know, I know. What could be blog worthy about chickens?
Well, here's the thing - I have the most friendly chickens on the earth. No really. They are super friendly. One got into my truck yesterday after I got into the driver seat. I sat there petting it while it sat on the step. I had to actually force it out so that I could shut my door and leave!
Now I know why they follow me. I've fed them. A friend from high school joked that chickens are NOT smart, but they do remember any and all times that they've been fed. I've obviously fed them - good stuff too - not just feed. No need to remind them of the countless corn cobs, watermelon rinds, tomatoes and radish greens that I've thrown their way because they SO remember.
I love that when I go down to the clothes line to hang laundry that they run to me and mill about eating bugs and other things. I have to be careful not to step on them sometimes because they are always around my feet. I talk to them. I call them "my girls". They have become pets which is probably not the best idea since someday they will stop laying...and then they will be food.
I really have become the "Crazy Chicken Lady". It doesn't scare me. Much.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My oh my, how far we have come from " talk to me while I feed the chickens just in case they try to peck my eyes out! ". ;0)
ReplyDeleteLove it! and Love you!
ReplyDeleteomgosh I just totally pictured you hanging out the laundry with chickens milling about. I want to be you, lol.
ReplyDelete