Monday, February 9, 2009

Some random things...random meaning not related, but as usual, long winded

After messaging with an old friend from high school about supper for tonight I got to thinking about what other people cook, etc.  Not that I'm into comparing in the sort of "I'm better than you because I don't ever cook the same meal twice" type thing because that is just laughable (or rather the woman who spouts this is on a baby site I used to frequent is), but wondering if my idea of a quick, easy dinner is really that far fetched or different from what others consider "quick & easy".

For example, tonight we had what I thought was an "easy dinner".  I made chicken breasts with a cranberry maple pan sauce, white rice & broccoli.  Basically, I butterflied 3 HUGE breasts & cut them into strips, dredged them in seasoned flour (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder), browned them in a pan with an olive oil & butter mixture, removed them to a plate in the oven after browning and then deglazed the frying pans with a mixture of white wine, chicken broth & red wine vinegar.  Added in a can of jellied cranberry sauce, about a half cup of real maple syrup, some more chicken stock, tablespoon of brown sugar, pepper and let that reduce a bit before I put the chicken back in the pans and let it simmer while the rice & frozen broccoli cooked.  I did forget to use some cayenne pepper though so there was a kick missing for me.  I even used Uncle Ben's converted white rice so it takes like all of 20 minutes on the stove top.  This meal is a favorite of every one's so maybe that is why I don't think it is a big deal.  The funny thing is that the first time I made it, I was just shooting from the hip (using a recipe that had the same flavors/ingredients, but was meant for grilling).  

Ok, so tell me the truth?  Does that sound really difficult? (I'm being honest...I really want to know)

I have to admit that cooking meals that my family loves makes me feel good about being a mom.  Perhaps it is because I don't have a job that brings home the bacon anymore.  For so long I have taken care of children & a hubby (I've been a SAHM for over 14 years!!) that praise for my cooking, laundry or cleaning skills has become my paycheck.  I don't get much praise in the cleaning department (not my favorite) and I'm usually a day late & a dollar short in the laundry department (the basement is my getaway, but it has been pretty cold down there), but I enjoy trying to shine in the cooking which may make my outlook a bit different from others I guess.  I bake cookies & cakes from scratch often and don't even think about it much.  It is just part of who I am...or part of who I am when I am being a good wife & mom.  I want to mention again that NEVER do I look at others and think that they aren't a good parent if they aren't into cooking or baking, but sometimes I get the feeling that just by doing the things I do, it makes others feel badly.  Does that make sense?

And another totally random thought...I've been thinking about my SIL again lately.  She posted one of those random questions notes that has been going around facebook.  I checked to see if I tagged her in mine (I didn't.) because she labeled hers as "The stupid questions everyone keeps tagging me to answer".  She seemed a bit defensive on the whole and I kept thinking why do it if you're not interested?  The thing that struck me was this was like the second time she has mentioned hating insecurities.  Generally her insecurities happen to involve me as mine involve her much of the time.  I'm not sure if I should step foot into that arena.  We've been drama free for awhile and I'm getting better at knowing when I should speak my mind and when I should shut up (BIG progress for me...I'm not good at shutting up).  I keep thinking that if she has an issue with me, she eventually come to me and share.  I really don't have the energy right now to "shore up" anyone.  I am of the belief that if no one says anything to me about things than everything must be fine.  Is this normal?  Again, totally serious question.  Relationships with other women have really confused me in the past so I feel like such a newbie in this area.

Random thought number 3 (and 4 too).  I have two teenagers whom I love dearly.  I have two elementary aged boys whom I love dearly.  I have two preschool aged children whom I love dearly.  Why oh why do they drive me up the effing wall?  And when will this darn, stinking cough go away?  Really - it is the pee your pants type cough.  If I didn't have thirty thousand pairs of undies, I might have purchased some Depends last night.

That is all folks...enough randomness for the day....I have to go change my underwear :oP

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you posted! And happy to share my wisdom, since I have so very much of it. ;)

    Regarding cooking, the meal you described does sound more difficult than "easy" (and delicious, by the way), but I have meals like that, too. I love to cook, too, when I have the energy and have planned in advance. Once when we had my bro and his wife over I made a very simple dinner and they kept going on and on about how gourmet it was and how they couldn't believe we ate like that every night. To me it was just normal. To each her own, I guess!

    Kudos on learning to shut up with your SIL. If she's not really interested, she shouldn't feel obligated to answer the questions, even if she is tagged. When I tag stuff like that on fb, it's mainly just to ensure that the people I tag actually see the note. And btw, I'm the kind of person that tells someone when I'm upset at them. I hate being mad knowing they have no clue.

    Sorry I'm so long-winded! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just found your blog! (mine is private but you can email me if you want to be added).

    I have to say that if I were to make a dish only one time (unless it was THAT good!) then I would have to live in a mansion. And freeze my butt off. With a rum and coke....

    Anyway, I have to try out the dinner you made, sounds delicious! That is about the limit for me in terms of energy put forth cooking most nights. I am a good cook, I just hate the clean up!

    I like to do a few easier meals as well, but I really try to avoid the processed and prepackaged stuff as much as possible. Julie's monday menu planing challenge thing really helps with that!

    As for SIL, well, mine isn't my FB friend, but keeps requesting my friends to be hers, lol! I will not comment further, as anything I say about IL's is tainted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hungry.

    You are normal.

    I definitely need more underwear.

    Next Thursday.

    Oh, and you didn't ask this questions but I love you THIIIIIIIIIIIIIS much (the extra i's are for "infinity")

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, the dinner sounds AWESOME! I had an easy dinner tonight. Mine was actually easy! I dislike cooking. Very much so. Your meal sounds fantastic!! You are totally awesome.
    I am glad that you get praise you deserve in cooking but honestly-you deserve praise for many other things. You are incredible. Hope that you know that. :)

    I would only speak to her if you feel God leaving it on your heart. Otherwise, just keep being you and wait for her to let you know something is up.

    Oh and I love my kids dearly too and they too can drive me bonkers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Di!!!! You know, Tim is the SAHD and he does the cooking. He cooks great meals every night & to me they are complicated (you know I can't cook at all basically :P )& now it makes more sense. It makes him feel good to cook a great meal for his family. Your dinner sounds fantastic...maybe you & Tim should trade recipes! He would love that. An easy dinner for me involves corn dogs :( He considers pot roast or pork loin & such easy.

    And you know my 3 boys drive me bonkers! Kade so far is pretty good & doesn't so much...right now...

    ReplyDelete