Monday, October 26, 2009

The time has come

The time has come where I can no longer take the lung burning during/after a good run. After finishing my 5K on Saturday in just over 38 minutes I realized that if I had been able to run the whole thing without stopping and gasping for air I might have shaved enough off my time to actually meet the goal I set for myself in finishing a race in 30-35 minutes. Not only did the burn happen during the run, I felt the after effects the whole day. It was not pleasant at all and after 7 months of regular cardio exercise, I think I should be farther along than I am.

So I need to make an appointment with my GP's office. I am almost certain that I have asthma. I'm almost certain that burning lungs at less than a 5mph speed 7 months into running isn't right. I also am pretty sure this is why I hated running when I was younger. I remember this feeling and I didn't understand when I was a young girl, but I do now. It wasn't so much being out of shape (I loved to swim, ride my bike, play kickball & volleyball) as much as it was the "burning lungs syndrome" of asthma. I also remember doing really well in sprints - it was the longer distance stuff that was the bane of my existence. I get it now.

I feel good in the fact that my blood pressure is where it needs to be so I know I won't be getting "the look" from my PA as I did last March when I went in so sick with bronchitis and a hell of a sinus infection. I view that appointment as a "turning point" in my life. I decided on that day that I needed to take control of what was happening to my body and take care of myself. Not only for me, but for the many people who count on me on a daily basis. The change has been slow. I have not lost a ton of weight although I remind myself that that wasn't my number one goal. I have lost about 5 pounds total since the start of this journey. I also still have to push myself some days. I find that if I have a goal (like running a 5k), I am much more likely to work harder. I am thinking that my next goal will be to strengthen my core muscles & arms. I will keep running a few times a week for the cardio benefits, but I want to get serious about toning & building muscle now. I know I am stronger & healthier than I was 7 months ago, but I aim to be even better than I was in my 20's. I want my 40's to be the best time yet because I have a feeling that so many good things are coming my way.

I am proud of myself for pushing through even with the pain & wheezing. I have proven to myself just how strong and how much gumption I really have. Now I just have to ride the wave to where I want to be. It probably won't be easy, but that hasn't scared me yet. I also know I have the BEST cheerleaders in the whole world should I need a pick me up or a reminder of what I am capable of. Life is good...even with asthma.

2 comments:

  1. The Bestie ;O)October 26, 2009

    Life is good... and I am especially glad to have you in mine. Now get yourself to the doctor so that you can continue taking good care of you. So proud of all that you have done! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing so amazing!!! And yup, sounds like asthma. Mine started as mostly exercise-induced asthma as a kid but wasn't diagnosed until I was a teen, so I know the burning-lung feeling well. A couple of puffs from your inhaler first and you will feel so much better! ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete