Thursday, November 12, 2009

Where did that come from?

Just a minute ago I received a totally unexpected comment on FB. It was from a guy I knew in high school. He graduated a year ahead of me. We had one English class together and he was what you would call an "outsider". He had plenty of friends, but I wouldn't have called him "mainstream". I enjoyed getting to know him during our class time, but we never hung out or anything. With the magic of FB, I was happy to find & friend him. My favorite memories of him were during Halloween when he would dress up as Gumby (he was like 6 feet tall and didn't have a small frame) and during our English class when we produced a short film (a horror flick where our teacher killed us all with Barry Manilow music...hahaha). Just random memories that make me smile.

Anyway, he told me that I was smart, observant and thoughtful. I was embarrassed at first because I don't like compliments (ok, so I am still a bit embarrassed). I am ever mindful of never wanting to sound like I am "all that" because I see so many things I would love to change about myself. I then started to think about it...while I certainly feel uncomfortable with the compliments, I am also happy that people think that about me. I am happy that is what I am showing through my interactions on FB and frankly, in life. I had a cousin tell me just a few months ago that I reminded her of her Mom. That particular comment brought me to tears and still does just thinking of it. My aunt was the most loving, empathetic and compassionate person I knew. To be even compared to her was mind blowing, but it also made me want to be better. To forgive even easier. To show others love more. To heal others' hurts.

I don't think my uncomfortableness of receiving compliments will ever stop, but I hope they continue to make me strive to be a better person.

1 comment:

  1. I am not quite sure that you could be a whole lot better... just saying. :O)

    Smart people you have in your life.

    ReplyDelete