Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Getting the lead out

This is what I need to do.

I started training in earnest today for my next 5k which is oddly enough on my 40th birthday. My knees hurt and my shins are killin' me! Running on the roads is far tougher on your body than running on the treadmill, that's for sure. Unfortunately, I would rather be on the road with the dogs than anywhere else at this point. It's time for me to put up or shut up.

Today I had a rather slow pace (3.4 miles in roughly 45 mins.), but I ran more than I have in a long time. I took the dogs with me again and poor Guinness was barely alive by the time we got home. She was foaming at the mouth and flopped down onto the tile floor as soon as we got into the house. Bailey was pretty worn out as well. Both dogs pretty much drank two bowls full of water after today's workout. I have a goal to make the loop (4.7 miles) in just under an hour BEFORE participating in the 5k on May 16th. I'm not sure Guinness is quite ready for almost 5 miles, but I would feel so awful leaving her home.

And that brings me to another question I am asking myself. Do I want to run this next 5k or walk it? I know I can run one. I've done it twice. Part of me feels that by me not running, I will be cheating myself out of something or not doing "my best", but the other part of me feels that I have already proven myself and if I want to walk, who cares? Decisions, decisions. Either way, I plan to be ready for it and either way, I know it will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment