Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Friends

I know I've blogged more than once about the lack of female friends I've had in my life and how lucky I feel & blessed I am after two meet ups with the best of the best. I was reminded of this yesterday when I hosted a lunch for two of the women from that amazing group.

The majority of my life seems to have been spent with little people without much adult contact. In fact, I will even venture that most of that is my own doing because I'm just not an extrovert. Don't get me wrong, I can be as obnoxious as the next person when in a group of people I know well although I do try to curb that back as well. I just don't put myself into situations that would allow me any discomfort and therefore do not go to library story hour, community playgroups or any type of Moms' clubs. It stems back from when my parents were divorced. I remember feeling different for the first time while at the bus stop with some older girls in the neighborhood. It wasn't that they were mean to me, but I clearly felt out of place. Being a tomboy AND living with just my Dad *did* make me different. After this I stopped thinking that girls would like me or want to be my friend. That's not to say I never had girlfriends because I did. I just never had a slew of them. I was always more comfortable with boys. In fact, from age 12-13 (and well after) I had two boys who were my BEST friends. They always proved to be my friends even when my girlfriends had outcast me from "the group".

So yesterday's visit left me emotional, but in a good way. When the house became quiet I realized how much I already missed my girlfriends and their children. How much I missed just sitting around and gabbing. How I missed the kids all running around, playing and well, acting like children. It was a day near perfection for me. I had two women here whom I love with all my heart and soul. They are my sistahs. I was comfortable and happy and well, content. With girlfriends. Can you imagine? This is one instance where I cannot seem to convey the wonderful feelings I have into words.

As I age it becomes more clear what really is important in life. It isn't what I have, but those who I surround myself with. (Ah, good thing my friend John doesn't read my blog - I'd blow my "Materialistic Biotch" cover!) I have chosen to surround myself with those women who lift me up. Who always want what is best for me (and I for them, of course). It is truly amazing what life has become with them around. In my wildest dreams I couldn't have imagined how wonderful it would be so thank you. Thank you to the two awesome women who traveled to my home yesterday and thank you to the bigger group who love me even when I find it hard to love myself. Thank you for your encouraging words, your prayers/good thoughts and most importantly your love & friendship. You've added something to my life that I never have experienced and boy is it good. <3

7 comments:

  1. Great Big Fat Emotional Tears.. I know JUST what you mean.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with your more!

    Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what I needed... a good sobbing before bed. Love you like crazy and I SO feel the exact same way. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Di! So so so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that your blog won't let me post unless I jump through a gazillion hoops and then do it anonymously!
    I also hate that I live so far away and can't pop over and sit and chat...I miss you xx Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah....I love you! I love your children and I love you mac & cheese!

    tears..tears...and more tears...happy tears!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you sweetheart. I am so blessed to have you as my friend-so blessed. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete